Saturday, July 17, 2010

"I will kill myself if..."

What comes to mind when you read Jesus' claim in Mt.9:37, that "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few?" Do you believe Him when he says the harvest is plentiful? It is easy to believe the lie that the people around me aren't interested in Him. They are, whether they know it or not. Years ago I met a young lady, Kelly, at the job I had been working my Sophomore year of college. I was the closing manager that night. After we shut down the store she asked if I was a Christian. I said, "yes." She told me, "God could never forgive me." I began sharing the gospel with her and as the reality of the gospel hit her she began crying. She ended up putting her trust in Christ right there in the shop. The next Sunday she brought her boyfriend Wally to church. Wally was in his early 20's but already had it made - money, cars, his own company, a huge house and a condo. He had what Russ refers to as the 5 c's - cash, cars, careers, condos and cuties. One of the 1st things he told us was, "I will kill myself if I don't find out how to get Christ in my life." Erin and I, flabbergasted by his bold statement, invited the young couple out to lunch. We spent most of the lunch telling him the Good News and after lunch we went to his apartment. He had so many questions but after a few hours of talking he put his trust in Christ. Over the next few months, as I began discipling this young man, we saw true transformation taking place. We have since lost contact and I pray so often for this dear brother and I can't wait to be reunited. This story illustrates an amazing truth. Wally is a person everyone of us would have been tempted to believe was satisfied with all this world has to offer. He wasn't. He was searching and he was hungry for Jesus. It would have been easy to believe the lie that he wasn't interested. He was. God did a miracle in his life that day. The point I want you to remember is that your sphere of influence is full of people just like Wally. You could easily believe the lie that they aren't interested in what you have to offer, but they are! I hope this story encourages you to apply the idea for this weekend or one of the many others we've recently shared. Like Bill Bright would always say, "take the initiative in the power of the Holy Spirit and trust the results to God."

No comments:

Post a Comment