Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Unseen Hope - March 27th, 2009

Rom.8:24-25 - “For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.” God was teaching me a ton about hope 3 years ago while I was first going through all these headaches. Hope is the source of perseverance wile going through trials (1 Thes.1:3 - see the post entitled “Faith, Hope and Love” from Sep.12, 2008). As I dealt with continual headaches and the doctors’ negative expectations (we think it’s a brain tumor, leukemia, etc, etc.) I came to the conclusion that my hope couldn’t rest on the possibility of future good; my hope had to be placed on Christ and His promises alone (Heb.6:19). No one, no thing, no news, no event, no problem - nothing at all can take away a hope rooted in Him. Hope gives my daily struggles a context of joy. I don’t know what the future holds but God and His promises aren’t dictated by the future. We’ve been praying for and sharing with a guy named Jeremy on campus for the past 4 years. A couple years ago Jeremy came up to me and asked, “Why do you Christians have so much hope? All religion tries to offer hope - that’s what religion is all about - but you Christians take hope to a whole new level.” Since that hope has yet to be fulfilled it continues to be a source of joy, motivation and endurance as we wait for it, keeping our thoughts and eyes on Him patiently (Heb.3:1, 12:1-2). Our hope in Christ is immovable and unshakable and when our hope is found in Him alone, it gives us perseverance regardless of our circumstances.


No comments:

Post a Comment