Tuesday, June 29, 2010

God Interceding for Me - March 28th, 2009

Rom.8:26-27 - “In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And He who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’s will.” This passage starts out with a fundamental truth forgotten too often by most Christians - I am weak but His Spirit provides the strength and ability to obey God (Eph.5:18, Ez.2:1, 36:27, Col.1:29) and He is conforming me to His character, transforming me into His likeness (2 Cor.3:18) producing His fruit in me (Gal.5:22-23). That is so fundamental yet the predominant teaching of Christianity today is to just try harder. From there Paul continues describing 2 other vitally important truths. The first is that I don’t know how I ought to pray. Thankfully, as I take a step of faith to co-labor with Him (1 Cor.3:9) in prayer, His Holy Spirit guides and directs me according to the Father’s thoughts and desires (Eph.6:18, 1 Cor.2:9-16). The second issue is a bit more confusing, that being, God Himself praying for me. I’ve always wondered about that but this is how I understand it. The Holy Spirit participated in creation with the Father (Gen.1:2) as He spoke the universe into existence, and Jesus, also, was actively involved in that process simultaneously, nothing having been made without Him (Jn.1:1-3, Heb.1:2). Now, just like during creation, while the Father is making me, the Son (Rom.8:34) and the Holy Spirit (Rom.8:26-27) continue co-laboring with Him by speaking those things He desires into existence in my life, praying and interceding for me continually. Thank God for the reality of that promise!


No comments:

Post a Comment