Monday, November 29, 2010

They were looking for "nuggets" but found angel feathers!

I want to be sensitive in how I write this but am convinced one of the biggest pitfalls that hinders evangelism, discipleship and the Great Commission is looking for "nuggets" in scripture. Ps.119:72 says, "The law from your mouth is more precious to me than thousands of pieces of silver and gold." Looking for nuggets in scripture is like looking for gold nuggets in a block of gold! There is no such thing as a nugget, it's all gold. As soon as I start looking for a "nugget" I either passively and subconsciously or actively and consciously begin to relativise scripture. I develop patterns of looking for strange, peculiar and new teachings. I promise you God hasn't waited 2,000 years to reveal anything to His church but the second I start thinking so I set myself up to be deceived and I quit learning and applying what God has called me to and that effectively ends my passion for and involvement in the Great Commission.

Erin and I have recently been studying up on some fringe ministries and have been shocked by claims of angelic visitations but even more so by the virtual worship of angels in some circles of Christianity (remember Col.2:18-19) and virtually idolize supposed  angel feathers, (which, coincidentally have been analyzed and shown to be bird feathers)! Their search for something more, something new, something sensational is evidence of their lack of satisfaction with God Himself and the results of that have been disastrous. If God alone doesn't satisfy me I need not look for a new teaching but rather do some serious introspection.

On a side note, develop discernment so the next time you hear of something like this you'll be ready (1 Jn.4:1-2). Know what scripture says to watch out for - read this list of what defines false teachers and false teachings and pray God will restore these believers (here's one example).

Bottom line - don't be distracted from simple and pure devotion to Christ (2 Cor.11:3), don't be distracted by strange doctrines, myths and stories people make up, which differ from sound doctrine and appeal to peoples’ fleshly desires (1 Tim.1:3-7, 2 Tim.4:1-5, 2 Peter 2:1-3, 17-22), and don't be distracted from doing God’s work by faith (1 Tim.1:4). We don't need a "nugget" from scripture, we need to put scripture into practice - that will result in true zeal for God (Rom.12:11). Quit looking for "nuggets" and commit yourself to knowing and doing God's Word with diligence! That will result in effective evangelism and discipleship and the guarantee that you will hear the words we all yearn to hear from our Savior, "well done good and faithful servant."

2 Tim.3:14-17 - "But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. "

No comments:

Post a Comment