Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Law is Powerless - February 27th, 2009

Rom.8:3-4 - “For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in sinful man, in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit.” “The Law” - the law of sin and death (Rom.8:2), the law that killed me (Rom.7:9), the law that has power over me until I die (Rom.7:1) and ultimately the law that can not bring life (Gal.3:21) - That law is powerless to bring me life. Similarly, “The Law” - the law that exists to show me my need for a savior (Rom.3:20), the law that awakens sin in me (Rom.7:8-9) and the law that is the very power of sin (1 Cor.15:56) - that law was (and is) powerless to give me victory over sin. The law fulfilled its purpose - showing me my sin, killing me and making me aware of my need for Jesus - yet it was, and is powerless to give me life or righteousness. Those only come from the author of life and righteousness, God Himself.


No comments:

Post a Comment