Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tychicus (8/29/08)

Eph.6:21-22 - Tychicus, the dear brother and faithful servant in the Lord, will tell you everything, so that you also may know how I am and what I am doing. I am sending him to you for this very purpose, that you may know how we are, and that he may encourage you.” Tychicus was a dear brother, a faithful servant and a competent encourager. How would you like to be defined that way? “Bob, which Bob?” “Oh, you know Bob, the dear brother and faithful servant who is always so encouraging.” This wasn’t just a casual or flattering reference describing Tychicus; Paul described him the same way to to the Colossians in 4:7-8, referring to him again as a beloved brother, faithful servant and someone who would encourage their hearts. Paul was able to describe him this way because he knew his character having traveled and ministered with him (Acts 20:4) and Tychicus had obviously lived out those characteristics daily among those around him. He showed himself to be a faithful servant working with Paul, going were Paul sent him and accomplishing what he was asked to do and he proved this serving with the Ephesians (Eph.6:21, 2 Tim.4:12), the Colossians (Col.4:7-8) and along side Titus among the Cretans (Titus 3:12). I want to follow Tychicus’ example by faithfully serving my brothers and sisters in Christ but, first and foremost, I want to be considered a good and faithful servant by my Father God (Mt.25:21), faithful with the little He entrusts me with for the sake of the little (Lk.16:10) seeking only to glorify Him. I want to follow Tychicus’ example encouraging those around me with a resolute (Greek: prothesis meaning purposed) heart, like Barnabus did (Acts 11:36) becoming known as the “son of encouragement” (Acts 4:36). I want to be purposed and determined to encourage, being a good “paraklete” in the power of the “Paraklete” (Jn.14:16, 26, 15:26 and 16:7), spurring those around me on to love and good deeds (Heb.10:24). I want to be that faithful servant and determined encourager in the context of brotherly love, being, like Tychicus, a dear brother, being devoted to loving everyone God puts in my sphere of influence (Rom.12:10). Tychicus: dear brother, faithful servant, determined encourager - what an example! God make me more like Tychicus.

No comments:

Post a Comment