Tuesday, June 29, 2010

More than Conquerers - April 15th, 2009

Rom.8:37 - “No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.” Paul answers his own question from verse 35, saying “no,” trouble, hardship, persecution, famine, nakedness, danger and sword will not separate us from the love of Christ. He then continues, saying, that in all these things (trouble, hardship, persecution, famine, nakedness, danger and sword) and of course the other aspects of this passage, Rom.7:7-8:17, sin and fear, we are more than conquerers through Christ, the latter part of that verse being the most important part. God reminds us, in Zec.4:6, that it is “not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit.” The power to overcome is not in overcoming or trying to overcome in my own strength, abilities or resources (Ps.33:17). I don’t remember ever hearing, at my church or any other, that victory is achieved through taking my eyes off the sin, the need, the problem, etc., and putting them instead on Christ (Heb.3:1, 12:1-2). If just trying harder got me where I am, trying even harder won’t do any better (it will likely just multiply the problem). I must let Him transform me and my circumstances from the inside out (2 Cor.3:18), doing the work He started (Phil.1:6). We are MORE than conquerers through Him - our victory in Him is beyond enough, it is all-encompassing (2 Peter 1:3). As I seek Him first, He does the work (Mt.6:33). “Thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ (1 Cor.15:57).”


No comments:

Post a Comment