Tuesday, June 29, 2010

House (8/24/08)

Ps.127:1 - “Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain.” The older I get the more I see the Truth of this verse in every area of my life. Often times I know theoretically that I am dependent on God, but feel quite confident on my own - what a trap! It’s so true though. The more we learn to walk by faith, the more accustomed we become to seeing God work and it becomes very easy to begin to think we have everything pretty much under control. That is unfortunate but far to often the case none the less. I think we can easily fall into two categories: we can either feel incapable and let that minimize our effectiveness or we can feel self confident and let that drive us to becoming workaholics. I know I can often fall into that second category and want instead to find that middle ground of walking by faith in confidence in Him alone. That is why this verse is so beautiful. Concerning my personal life, few minutes of introspection quickly convince me that unless He builds this house, I struggle at it in vain (2 Cor.3:18). Both my marriage and becoming a father remind me that I am insufficient and He alone can build this house (2 Peter 1:3). As we enter a new year of ministry, I feel like I have a lot of ideas and great plans but am all to aware of where those have got us in the past and I realize that unless He builds this house I can forget about it all (2 Cor.3:5-6). Conversely though, as I trust Him in each of those areas He does build the house! Remember “it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose (Phil.2:13).” I desire to sense my dependence on Him, regardless of the fruit He allows me to see; I don’t want a calloused heart that feels I have it all together but one that beats in tune with His, desires what He desires, loving what He loves, hating what He hates, broken over what breaks His heart. I want Him and I want Him to build the house of my life, family and ministry how He desires. “Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain (1 Cor.15:58).”

No comments:

Post a Comment