Sunday, July 4, 2010

"Calculus vs. Evangelism"

So, I woke up today knowing I had to apply the evangelism idea for the 4th. I ran into a math professor I had in college (Calc 2, my least favorite college class). I asked what he was doing for the 4th. He replied, "watching the fireworks." I asked what freedom meant to him. He said, "I guess it means we can do whatever we want, with restraint of course." I asked if he felt like he was experiencing personal freedom. He said, "I think so." After discussing that answer for a while I asked if I could share a bit about the freedom I've found in Christ. He said, "you don't want to know what I believe." I said, "yes I do." He said, "God doesn't exist. If he did exist he would be to complex to understand and if you could understand Him he couldn't be God, therefore it is impossible to know if there is a God." I asked if he knew everything there was to know about math. He said, "no." I said, "but you know a lot more about it than I do and you were able to teach me math." I continued, "neither of us know everything about math but that doesn't change math or the fact that mathematical principles govern the universe." He asked, "do you believe God governs the universe?" I said, "yes." He said, "That goes against all the evidence." I asked him what evidence caused him to give up his belief in God (he had been born into a Christian family). He said, "the evil in the world. What is your evidence." I mentioned that coming from a science background I could see no way God couldn't exist. I mentioned the existence of matter (1st Law of Thermodynamics). He rebutted, "it's always been here." I asked how there's any order anywhere in the universe (2nd Law of Thermodynamics)." He mentioned that he get's around that with various theories of Physics (which I reminded him are purely hypothetical). I finally just asked if I could tell him a little about what Jesus has done in my life. I got to share my testimony with him and our conversation got interrupted shortly afterwards. It was a very cordial conversation with a professor I had 9 years ago. He was one of the few professors I never shared with in college and God was gracious enough to give me another opportunity. I was more nervous than usual about this conversation; maybe I still felt like he was the teacher and I was the student. It isn't that fear ever completely leaves; fear just presents a greater opportunity to rely on Christ and trust Him to live His life through you (Gal.2:20). The bottom line: evangelism is not nearly as difficult as calculus. I am genuinely thankful God gave me this opportunity to share with "B." Pray He will open his heart to the freedom found only in Christ. I hope you have fun using the "Are you free" idea with someone before this day is over! And one last thought: if that fear issue is something you relate to check out the message below.

Nate

No comments:

Post a Comment